Experience And Advice You Can Rely On

What long-term care do you need following a spinal cord injury?

On Behalf of | Oct 21, 2022 | Personal Injury Law

Spinal cord injuries are one of the most catastrophic injuries you can sustain following a car wreck. These injuries can leave you with chronic back and neck pain. Worse still, they can also leave you paralyzed. 

If you injure your spine in a car accident that is not your fault, you may be eligible for compensation for your damages. However, to receive the compensation you deserve, it helps to understand the exact care you will need. Depending on the severity of your spinal cord injuries, here are some of the therapies you might need:


Sometimes, a spinal cord injury can leave you paralyzed. If this happens, you may need to learn how to use crutches, leg braces or a wheelchair. Spinal cord injuries can impact your upper body movement as well. 

Due to the spinal cord’s connection to the entire body’s system, you may need to relearn how to perform basic functions like bathing, eating as well as using the bathroom. The court will take all these into account when determining the compensation amount. 

Risk education

Life after a spinal cord injury is never the same. You may need to learn the risks of “pressure injuries.” To avoid such injuries, you will likely learn how to position your body, distribute your weight and how to transition between different positions without hurting yourself. 

For injuries on the upper spine, you may need to receive lung care as your breathing muscles may not function optimally.  


Spinal cord injury and the resulting implications can affect your life in a variety of ways. The road to recovery can be long and frustrating – and so is learning to cope with your new limitations. 

As such, it is not uncommon for spinal cord injury victims to fall into depression. For this reason, they may need counseling to help them adapt to the new normal. 

Spinal cord injuries can be life-altering. You may need to find out how you can pursue damages if your injuries are attributable to someone else’s illegal actions.